Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Avoid Cold & Flu Season 101
Our family has an incredible amount of experience doing our best to stay healthy. Our twin boys were born 28 weeks 6 days gestation and stayed 70 days in the Newborn ICU. We were on "house arrest" for the first 7 months of their lives. We were aloud to leave the house once per week for a weight and nutrition check. Our only visitors were close family that had been vaccinated with both the flu shot and pertussis vaccine. If they had even the least bit of a sniffle, they knew not to come over. Once spring time came, we began to take our babies out in public.
Here are 10 ways we keep our family healthy during cold and flu season:
1) Get the Flu vaccine each year and the Whooping Cough (pertussis vaccine every ten years.)
2) Wash your hands regularly.
3) Keep hand sanitizer in your car.
4) Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, or mouth.
5) Listen for sniffles and coughs when you enter a room and keep away from sick people.
6) Cough or sneeze into your elbow or into a tissue.
7) Get proper sleep, eat a well balanced diet, and drink at least 8 glasses of water.
8) Wipe down common areas, ie; cell phone, keyboard, remote control, door handles, and counter-tops.
9) Do not share drinks, silverware, or toothbrushes.
10) Try to minimize your stress with physical activity.
The best tool you have in protecting your family this time of year, is your instincts. It's always okay to say NO!! A mother's intuition is the greatest gift we have. Buona salute a tutti!
Posted by Lena