Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Capitol



Today we took a tour of our Nation's Capitol building. I know I say this a lot, but this really is my favorite place to visit in DC. It's a powerful building. Government comes alive within it walls. I was overjoyed to see my Zia experience it for the first time. We had an incredible tour guide named Chanel. She's one of Jim Matheson's interns. My Zia and I were the only two on the tour so she gave us a real behind the scenes view of government in action. We even got to talk with Nancy Pelosi, John Boehner, and Jim Matheson. My Zia's favorite part was the rotunda. It was really special to see the original supreme court. In those four walls, such cases as Plessy v. Ferguson and Dred Scott v. Sandford were heard. Scott was one of the first slaves to stand up for freedom. The Capitol is full of history, old and new. We watched a senate hearing in the Senate Chambers and then visited the House Gallery and saw the Pages lined up to run the errands of the representatives. These young Senate Pages have an opportunity of a life time. If we end up living here while my boys are in high school, I think they could really benefit from such an opportunity. The Nation's Capitol building is a must see.  





 








This wall was very powerful. My aunt was extremely touched by this 9/11 memorial in the Capitol. It has the names of each person aboard flight 93 that sacrificed their lives for this building.

Original Supreme Court








1 comment:

  1. I'm sure like most people who have never visited the Capital, it is my lifelong dream. It will be a great day when I get to take the tour with you and have you tell me all the things you've learned about it! This day will come soon.

    ReplyDelete